This basically is a system by which the energy of a decelerating electic vehicle is harnessed, either by using the drive motor as a generator, or by driving a separate generator. The electricity created by this process is fed back into the drive battery pack, restoring some of the charge. Regenerative braking seldom has a significant effect on the battery charge's overall range but it does reduce brake wear.
"On the Club Car DS model, what does the DS represent?"
The original Club Cart was the 1964 Caroche which was known as the "C Series" cart within the Johns Manville organization. Club Car bought the company in 1979 and in 1981 they introduced a completely new design which was the "D Series" and it was shortened to DS and remained as the model designation. Other than some plastics type changes, the body of the DS cart has been essentially the same since it was introduced.
Electric Vehicle was designed because of Gas Rations during WWII
The "Marketeer Company" was founded by Merle Williams of Long Beach California during World War II. During this period of gas rationing he built a small electric vehicle for his wife to go to the market. As others saw his creation as a solution to their short distance transportation needs too, he received requests to build additional vehicles. He later moved his company to Redlands California and shortly there after added electric invalid vehicles to his line of two wheeled electric bicycles. Vehicles for industrial applications soon followed. In early 1951 the first electric car designed specifically for playing golf was introduced. From this early beginning a full line of industrial vehicles and golf carts evolved. In 1965 Merle and Peggy Williams sold their "Marketeer Company" to Westinghouse.
Still providing the same Great Service with new and used golf carts sales to golfing enthusiasts and 2, 4, and 6 passenger golf carts rentals to apartment complexes and event planners!